Friday, June 27, 2014

The Magicians by Lev Grossman

Attention Harry Potter fans! Read The Magicians by Lev Grossman!



I grew up with Harry Potter. Great books! Don't know if I'll ever get around to re-reading them because there are so many things out there to read. But there's an alternative to getting your Harry Potter fix in one book, and that's Lev Grossman's The Magicians.

Think Harry Potter, but mature. It's basically Hogwarts as a college. There's a little depravity; after all it is college. The tension is very similar to Harry Potter books, and the writing is not only a bit more mature, but sophisticated compared to J.K. Rowling. It focuses more on the interpersonal relationships of the characters versus driving events and solving a mystery. You still get that at the end. In fact, the last 100 pages are like "BAM!" -Very exciting.

It was good -great even, but it wasn't as standout to me for my tastes. (I could've used more depravity.) I may or may not read the sequel. If it becomes available to me, I will. But if you liked Harry Potter as a kid, and are now a fine, young adult check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment