Friday, February 27, 2015

Let's Try Something...

I think I'm trying out an experiment -out of circumstance and out of conscious consuming: I'm on a no-buy.

Now, this isn't a spectacular jaunt into asceticism, this is just I HAVE TOO MUCH. And that's not bragging at all. But I would like to make the venture towards minimalism. Please don't roll your eyes. If I was trying to have a minimalism blog, I know I'd be about five years too late. I'm not here to inspire. (Unless I do!) I just want to find an outlet for holding myself accountable and maybe make a difference along the way. I hope this can become a resource for people trying to slowly, mindfully, and realistically vote with their dollars. (A little lofty, I know!) You'll probably hear me say "conscious consumerism" a lot in the future, but that's what it is! I'm new to this whole thing and conscious consumerism takes a good amount of research, but if you can't do it all, at least do something.

"Perfect is the enemy of good."
— Voltaire

And that's the thing about being Eco-friendly, or a conscious consumer, you have to pick and choose your battles.

Oh yeah, back to "I have too much."

I went to college and was very involved in high school. (see also: extensive t-shirt collection)
I'm sentimental.
I used shopping for entertainment.
I use(d) shopping to elevate my mood. (see also: major shopaholic)

I want to change that.

Andrew Soloman says, "the opposite of depression is not happiness, but vitality." I have found that to be  So. Utterly. True. Thankfully, I've found some that of vitality lately. It's clearing out the clutter, getting things in order either processing them or making a plan to process them.

Admittedly, I'm not getting rid of much, yet. If I will, it will be a slow process. I HAVE noticed a change in energy with the minimal decluttering. I'm really just reorganizing stuff, which I know is a bit of a waste, but my space is more efficient, and I can tell. But, honestly, my clutter lies in my closet.

Right now I'm of the mindset "use it up and wear it out."

My makeup "collection" is mostly for utility so it's easy to go through products. It's really the clothes, shoes, and purses I've accumulated throughout the years. As for clothes, it doesn't help that my weight yo-yo's.

So far this year I've only bought consumables: food, toiletries, and maybe (ok, not maybe) I treated myself to a little makeup. I don't want to buy any more clothes, shoes, or purses in particular. That's really the no-buy. And it's not like in the past few years I've been shopping at Anthropologie or Urban Outfitters. Last year, I mostly shopped at thrift stores. I can't remember the last time I was at a mall with the intention of buying. (Does it make me a hipster if I went to the mall ironically with friends?)

But I've given myself some passes:
• Tartan Blanket Scarf
• An amazingly well-fitted pair of jeans. Either Levi's, Old Navy, J Brand, or BDG not from Urban Outfitters (Still need to do more in-depth research on these brands, especially J Brand, but I hear they have phenomenal jeans!)
• Workout Clothes (within reason)
• If I find a great flannel, or dress.
• Undergarments
• A Chic Sparrow Extra-Wide Traveler's Notebook (including accessories -although I'm aware of the addictive territory I'm getting myself into!)

That might be a lot for some people on a no-buy, but my intention behind this is to be mindful with my purchases, not find a random thingo at the thrift store. More importantly, I'm being honest. I'm not going to claim I'll adhere 100% (we're all human, right?), but it helps. By giving myself guidelines, I open myself up to not buy. Plus, now, my standards for all of these items are high, and hopefully better researched. (I would also like to note that I won't be constantly looking for these items. I will be planning ahead and should I have the funds, then I might make a trip to the Levi's store or plan out what I want for the Traveler's Notebook, etc.)

So join me on this journey!

If you've got an Eco-conscious blog, let me know in the comments below! I'm always looking for more knowledge. Any advice will be gladly appreciated and thoroughly considered, and I'd just love to chat!

And check out Recovering Shopaholic. Debbie Roes has created a great resource for those of us who have used shopping as an outlet. Her accountability posts have been an inspiration for my own. Anyway, I'll keep reading that with you as I gradually find resources for eco-consciousness.

No comments:

Post a Comment