Tuesday, June 28, 2016

DIY Lip Balm: The Lazy Way

I'm a sucker for packaging; hence, I have saved my Smith's Lip Balm Salve containers. The tins are too cute to throw out and thankfully I didn't need to!

I definitely might have a poverty mindset with a, as I have heard and like to put it, "good to the last drop" mentality.

Well, I had some Baby Lips: Neon that I didn't like the color. Then, there was a chubby stick that oxidized horribly on my lips. Finally, I had some Revlon Lip Butters that I finished. What to do?

REUSE THOSE OLD TINS AND HAZ LIP BALM.

1. Fill a frying pan with a bit of water, enough to reach at least halfway to the tin, but not boil over into it. Place your tin.

2. Dig out those old lippies with a toothpick (or whatever tool you think would work well) and scrape into the old tin. You are free and welcome to add another medium like petroleum jelly, coconut oil, or Aquaphor (not sure if Aquaphor is appropriate, but I've heard it's a great moisturizer) if you don't have much of your colored product. I had a small thing of petroleum jelly I was glad to use up. Don't forget to add the ones you don't like the color of!

3. Let the water boil to heat the tin and melt your product. Stir if needed.

4. Let cool. To prevent an uneven line on the tin, I'll move it to an unused burner and let it set. Once it's cooler, you can stick it in the fridge.

Super lazy? Scoop out everything and melt in a microwave safe container and pour. (I simply "refill" my containers by melting and adding to them. We all know we can't microwave metal!)

I will typically put on this concoction after the shower or just lounging around the house. To be fair, the color's outcome was not my main priority, so feel free to be picky about that. I just get great satisfaction from using everything up! This one is actually more sheer, but I appreciate it's moisturizing quality.

Just realized my lips are dry. Going to go put some on!

How satisfying is that fill line?

No comments:

Post a Comment